Keeping Those Edges LAID! : Working Out with Natural Hair

In case you haven't noticed, I'm an African American woman with un-relaxed hair. And I work out a lot. And I sweat a lot. And my hair gets messy.

For years, I sported a short cut. With ultra short hair, I didn't have to worry about what my hair looked like. I washed it once to twice a week, and that was it. But starting last May, I decided to grow my hair out. And with length came many headaches, and a lot of learning about working out with my hair. Although I am still learning, here's some advice on how I maintain my hair while doing a daily work out routine:

1) Wrap it up! Remember, it's not about looking cute, it's about taking care of your body. But realistically,  I'm concerned about looking cute. (Hell, I'm single!) So I bought a few silk turbans from YnVe Couture. They are made of silk and not cotton, so these wraps will not dry out your hair. AND, it's keeps those edges nice and laid. *Remember to let your hair dry completely before removing the scarf.*

I took this pic after a rough workout. That's why I am making a face.

2) Do not put your hair in a tight ponytail. This is very hard on your hairline. GWRL. You will tear those delicate edges out, and suffer from the deleting hair-line syndrome, looking like

Ms. Naomi Campbell, I love you but...DAMB!
Simply smooth your edges down with an anti-frizz gel, and wrap it up.

3) Wash your hair twice-a-week. Honestly, washing it more than twice-a-week probably will do more harm than good. Cleansing your hair twice-a-week will keep your hair clean and healthy.

4) Do your cardio routine on wash days. Generally, you don't work up as much of a sweat on strength training days. Do your sweat inducing routines (like cardio) on wash days.

Hope this helps. Remember, strong is beautiful.

Comments